Amanda is an experienced and effective lawyer with over 20 years of legal experience and a pragmatic business focused approach. Amanda has in-depth industry knowledge across a range of sectors having worked for large international brand names in Luxury Retail (De Beers Diamond Jewellers), Public Relations (NextFifteen Communications), and Manufacturing (Sony UK), following qualification as a solicitor at city firm SNR Denton. Amanda brings her General Counsel experience and specialist knowledge of setting up legal functions to her clients who include companies in the media, luxury retail and marketing, and social research sectors as well as social enterprises and charities, and internet start ups.
She advises on all areas of business law including
- company law, covering business structures, shareholder/ partnership agreements, investment agreements, listings, disposals and acquisitions;
- commercial agreements, including terms of business, manufacturer and supply, distribution, agency and franchise terms, and all aspects of e-commerce;
- employment matters;
- intellectual property protection and licensing; data protection; and
- advertising and promotions law.
Amanda is based in Reading and advises clients in London and the South East. She can be contacted using our contact form.
Damien is an experienced corporate and commercial lawyer with a background in corporate finance, corporate real estate and investment funds.
Damien trained at Lawrence Graham. He gained wide M&A, IP, employment and corporate structuring experience within the telecommunications/IT, oil & gas, business services, real estate, retail and financial sectors.
He also advised on the insolvency of MCI Worldcom across over 30 EMEA jurisdictions.
Damien then specialised in corporate structuring for institutional investors such as AXA, Hermes, and Legal & General. Having worked offshore, including in the Cayman Islands, he extended his experience to include private equity, debt funds and hedge funds, before returning to work in funds with SJ Berwin – on behalf of Schroders, Invesco and the Crown Estate.
Damien now works with clients in an in-house capacity:
- on a range of on and offshore funds and funds structures;
- advising on growth plans and investment strategies;
- in respect of corporate, litigation, employment and commercial agreements including licensing, manufacturing and distribution.
Damien is based in London and can be contacted using our contact form
David is a senior business lawyer with international experience of working for major blue chip companies.
He has experience in several business sectors including food, construction, engineering, pharmaceuticals (including life sciences), utilities, defence, and telecoms. David has developed this level of expertise working for Kellogg's, AMEC, AstraZeneca, United Utilities, Thales and CityFibre Holdings. David has also fulfilled commercial roles within start-up companies, and is used to assessing internal legal needs, managing budgets, and setting up legal departments within growing companies.
David’s approach is complemented by his ability and experience in other key areas such as insurance risk, compliance, procurement, strategy and HR.
He has significant legal expertise in a number of areas including:
- business structures;
- insurance and risk management contracts
- sports licensing;
- large-scale utilities, energy, and oil & gas contracts;
- construction and public procurement agreements;
- employment matters; and
- intellectual property.
David is based in Manchester but is available to work all over the UK.
He can be contacted using our contact form.
Tim is a solicitor with many years of in-house and private practice experience.
He has a particular interest in the financial services and technology sectors, having worked for Arbuthnot Securities , Williams de Broe and Ambrian Partners and, more recently, Essentia Analytics and Centralis. Tim’s role at Ambrian included the development of new business lines as well as a purely legal function and, accordingly, he is very well placed to see the legal needs of a business from the inside.
Tim advises on all areas of business law, particularly:
- group re-organisations;
- EMI and share schemes;
- shareholders’ agreements, corporate governance;
- strategic commercial contracts (supply and customer);
- mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures;
- equity and debt finance including venture capital, angel investing and banking.
Tim is based in the Midlands but works with clients across the country, particularly in the City of London.
He can be contacted using our contact form.
William has nearly 35 years’ experience as a Solicitor, most of which has been spent in increasingly senior in-house roles with companies such as Guinness, Bulmers, LINPAC Group and Spirax-Sarco Engineering spanning FMCG, packaging and engineering. He has also served as Company Secretary of a UK listed public company and as a director of subsidiary trading companies both in the UK and in Europe. He also has considerable experience of contracts with overseas partners.
William’s particular expertise and interests lie in:
- Commercial contracts of all kinds ranging from distribution and supply agreements to intellectual property licences, R&D agreements and joint ventures
- Corporate acquisitions and reorganisations
- Intellectual property (both contentious and non-contentious) matters covering trade marks, designs and copyright and patents, including successfully resolving a major issue concerning extremely well-known “split trade marks”
- Competition law and regulatory matters, including winning a case on European packaging regulations before the European Court of Justice
- Corporate compliance and risk management including devising and delivering in-house compliance programmes
- Employment matters
William is based in the West Midlands near Cheltenham.
Kir is an experienced in-house lawyer with over 10 years of legal experience.
A commercial lawyer with practical experience of dealing with the day-to-day issues of running a business, she has a broad skill set and advised in-house on the public flotation of an asset management firm, leasing agreements in cross-border transactions, investment agreements, intellectual property, confidentiality agreements and minimizing legal risk exposure. She advises on business law areas including:
- company law, business structures, investment agreements for private or institutional investors;
- commercial agreements, leases, manufacturing agreements specifically in the food and drink industry;
- intellectual property, and bank documentation.
Having been a director of a start-up document management software firm and more recently a drink business, Kir has some industry knowledge of the food and drink sector and understands the pressures start-ups and growing businesses face in securing financing, and marketing and selling a product from concept stage to sales generation.
Kir lives in London.
She can be contacted using our contact form.
Paul is an experienced, commercially minded and pragmatic lawyer with a broad range of practical experience in commercial, legal, regulatory, insurance, contentious, non-contentious and listed and non-listed company secretarial disciplines.
Paul headed up in-house teams at Gaz de France and Dart Group, and has also held senior roles at Waste Recycling Group, Lupton Fawcett and Shulmans.
He has further developed his particular expertise in the travel and insurance industries since joining The Legal Director and, over his career, has dealt with:
- claims management matters;
- insurance litigation;
- aviation industry regulatory matters and AIM list compliance
- property and lease strategies;
- implementation of a trademark/general IP strategy;
- IT purchasing and systems contracts;
- management of pension and share incentive schemes.
Paul is based in Leeds and is available to work across the North of England and in central London.
He can be contacted using our contact form.
Michelle is an experienced employment lawyer. With over 20 years’ employment law experience, Michelle works closely with clients to provide commercial and pragmatic advice in relation to a wide range of employment and HR issues.
Michelle trained with Ashfords LLP (formerly Bevan Ashford), qualifying as a solicitor in 1993. She became a partner of Ashfords LLP in 2004, where she headed up the employment team in Taunton until October 2013. Michelle joined The Legal Director in March 2015 having taken a career break.
Michelle’s particular areas of expertise include:
- the drafting of contracts, service agreements, consultancy agreements, policies and procedures;
- advice on recruitment;
- dealing with performance/capability issues, grievances and disciplinary issues;
- restructuring and redundancy;
- day to day HR advice and strategy
- restrictive covenants and confidentiality clauses
- settlement agreements
- senior executive packages on appointment and termination
Michelle has worked with a wide variety of clients, predominantly SMEs, professional practices and charities.
Michelle is based in Somerset and works with clients in the South West of England and in other parts of the UK.
She works closely with her husband Peter, a commercial lawyer who was also a partner at Ashfords for a number of years. His profile can also be found on this site.
She can be contacted using our contact form.
An experienced commercial lawyer, Peter was a senior partner in private practice with regional and London firm Ashfords LLP for 14 years before joining The Legal Director in March 2015. As a board member of Ashfords, he helped drive the firm forward following its demerger from Bevan Ashford in 2004.
Peter read law at the London School of Economics and trained in the City. Immediately prior to joining Bevan Ashford in 2001, he was general counsel and main board director of global automotive consultancy and software specialists Mitac.
Peter’s expertise is wide ranging. He was originally a commercial property partner at Ashfords, but, in more recent years, headed up one of their corporate and commercial teams.
This width of experience enables him to advise companies and their owners on a wide range of legal and commercial matters. Peter particularly enjoys dealing with:
- complex contractual matters, particularly joint venture arrangements;
- corporate and business sales; and
- commercial leases.
Peter is based in Somerset but works with clients across the country, particularly in the South of England and London.
Peter works closely with his wife Michelle. As will be seen from her profile on this site, she is a high level employment specialist, having also been a partner at Ashfords for a number of years.
He can be contacted using our contact form.
Catherine is a business-focused commercial lawyer with particular experience of the technology, ecommerce and travel sectors. She trained at leading law firm Addleshaw Goddard gaining a strong background in technology law and outsourcing projects.
Her experience spans a wide range of sectors and clients (ICI Plc, The Automobile Association, Standard Chartered Bank, National Bingo Association, British Olympic Association) working on all manner of commercial contracts from straightforward supply and licensing agreements to full-scale systems outsourcing and complex commercial partnerships.
As former Group Legal Director and a trusted member of the lastminute.com board, Catherine is most at home working closely with business leaders to solve complex legal/commercial problems and manage business risk. She has proven track-record in building strong in-house legal teams, managing a network of external legal providers across multiple jurisdictions and keeping to tight budgets. Her broader business law experience includes advising on:
- Commercial contracts
- Commercial disputes and litigation
- Regulation and compliance (particularly relating to travel consumer protection and data privacy)
- Intellectual property rights
- Corporate structuring, disposals, joint ventures
- Outsourcing and strategic partnerships
- Sales and marketing
- Employee Issues
Catherine lives in Cheshire and can be contacted using our contact form.
Kiley joined the Legal Director after 15 years in private practice and until recently, a partner heading up the corporate commercial department of a law firm in Sheffield.
With his extensive experience in commercial litigation, Kiley has also carved out a niche in non-contentious commercial and corporate work.
Known for his affable and approachable personality, he also has honed his business nous and commercial acumen in the last few years being part of the management team in a successful law firm
His experience includes:
- Commercial dispute resolution
- Contract negotiations
- Commercial contracts – sale and purchase agreements, agency, distribution, franchising
- Shareholder/partnership agreements
- HR Issues
Based in Sheffield, Kiley is available for clients in the Sheffield City Region and the neighbouring counties, and London.
Kiley is also interested to work with clients who have interests in South East Asia.
Kiley can be contacted using our contact form.
Rob has spent the vast majority of his 14 year legal career working in-house, mostly for listed companies including PepsiCo, Emerson Electric and Peugeot.
Rob has worked across the globe and is well versed in commercial and business practices throughout Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia and America. He has a varied sector experience including FMCG, oil and gas, private equity and automobile. Additionally, during a break from the law, Rob ran his own £8 million foodservice business and is also a regular investor in start-up businesses, giving him a unique business insight. Rob is known for his straight talking approach, in both English and French!
Rob has general experience in most areas of law but has particular expertise in;
- anti-bribery and corporate governance
- organisational restructuring/staff performance
- sales channel re-organisation
- commercial contracts
- mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures
Rob has worked at both ends of the spectrum, from start-ups and SME’s all the way through to Fortune 100 listed companies.
Rob is based in the Midlands but works with clients across the country.
Rob can be contacted using our contact form.
Joanna is a solicitor dealing with all aspects of commercial property law. She trained at Osborne Clarke and then went on to work for Speechly Bircham LLP (now known as Charles Russell Speechlys) and most recently worked at Blake Morgan LLP.
Joanna is a commercially minded, practical and experienced solicitor who has acted for clients in the retail, industrial and office and charity sectors. Clients have included the Swatch Group, David Lloyd, Costa Coffee, Krispy Kreme, the Royal Bank of Scotland, The Bank of England and the YMCA.
Joanna’s experience has enabled her to advise on all areas of commercial property including, but not limited to:
- The acquisition, sale, leasing and management of commercial premises
- Landlord and Tenant law
- Leasehold management
- Property Investment
- Large portfolio management, acquisitions and disposals
- Corporate support and advice
Joanna is based in Hampshire, near Winchester, but is available to clients across the UK.
Joanna can be contacted using our contact form.
Rebecca joined The Legal Director in 2016 with 18 years experience as a commercial partner in private practice and working in house under her belt. This includes roles as legal counsel in a global manufacturing business where Rebecca was directly involved all manner of strategic commercial contracts for a business which delivered products to the automotive, industrial and healthcare (advanced wound care and medical device) markets and most recently as head of legal for the HQ of a UK based company providing property searches to the legal profession.
As a commercial generalist Rebecca is comfortable advising clients on a broad range of business issues from a practical and customer focussed perspective.
Rebecca can advise on all areas of business law including:
- Strategic commercial contract negotiation and drafting (supply, supply chain, distribution, agency, franchise)
- Company law including board minutes, shareholder agreements, partnership agreements, share buy backs, disposals and acquisitions and related due diligence
- Start up business tools including terms of sale, website terms and general compliance
- Intellectual property protection, exploitation and portfolio management including R&D projects / funding
- Data Protection Act policy development and training including cloud computing and cross border aspects
- Sanctions and Modern Slavery Act compliance audits and training
- IT procurement, licensing, outsourcing and supply agreements.
Rebecca lives in Derbyshire and advises clients in Yorkshire, Derbyshire and throughout the UK.
Rebecca can be contacted using our contact form.
Anthea is a commercial lawyer with over 15 years’ experience. She has advised a variety of different businesses in connection with a full range of day to day commercial arrangements as well as advising on corporate transactions such as sales and purchases, MBOs and reorganisations.
Anthea also has financial services regulatory compliance experience having worked for Aviva advising on regulatory competition matters; consumer credit regulations and general conduct issues.
Anthea can advise on the following:
- Company law – incorporation, shareholder agreements, investment agreements, partnership agreements.
- Commercial agreements – supply agreements, joint ventures, terms and conditions of sale and purchase, licence agreements.
- Corporate finance – share sales and purchases, business sales, MBOs and mergers.
- Regulatory compliance – consumer credit, FCA permissions applications, conduct and governance issues.
Anthea can be contacted using our contact form.
Clare is a commercial property solicitor with 20 years’ experience, gained working both in private practice and in-house. She is thorough, focussed and results driven.
Clare’s private practice experience includes time at both Eversheds and Osborne Clarke, working for a variety of clients, including high street retailers and banks, and on numerous corporate support matters. She then moved in-house for 7 years at Nationwide Building Society, leading the team providing support for the Society’s branch and property portfolio.
Clare advises on commercial property law:
- sales and acquisitions, both freehold and leasehold
- landlord and tenant law
- property and estate management, lease renewals
- corporate support
Clare lives in Somerset and can be contacted using our contact form.
Charlotte is a commercial lawyer with over 22 years of experience in both private practice - Stephenson Harwood and Richards Butler - and in-house - The Swedish Club and BP plc.
Charlotte has particular industry knowledge and expertise in the oil, gas and marine sectors having spent 13 years at BP, the last four of which as head of legal for Castrol B2B. Charlotte’s experience covers both contentious and non-contentious legal matters and Charlotte offers board level legal, commercial and compliance advice for businesses and institutions, together with strong leadership skills. Charlotte has established successful legal teams where there has been no legal support previously and embedded them with the business as a genuine business partner. She also introduced contracting solutions to standardise the approach across 28 countries in the global Castrol B2B business. Much of Charlotte’s work has involved international trading partners and cross jurisdictional issues.
Charlotte advises on all areas of business and commercial law including
- commercial agreements, including business Ts&Cs, OEM contracts, supply chain issues, distribution, licensing, product liability issues, product recall;
- risk management, competition issues, trade sanctions, compliance, UK Bribery Act;
- company law, covering business structures, shareholder/ partnership agreements, disposals and acquisitions of assets;
- litigation - contractual dispute resolution in Arbitrations/Commercial Court;
- ship finance; shipbuilding; sale and purchase; chartering; insurance, ship management, LNG and litigation;
- marketing and advertising, social media;
Charlotte is based in the Woking/Guildford area and can be contacted using our contact form.
Helen joins The Legal Director with over 14 years legal experience in corporate and commercial law. She was a Corporate Associate at international law firm, Osborne Clarke before moving in-house to BP plc in 2010, as business lawyer to the Air BP (Aviation Fuelling) business and more recently the Petrochemicals division.
Helen has solid commercial, legal and managerial skills, which she uses to help her clients’ businesses succeed. She is used to advising at senior management level, demonstrating an ability to engage with stakeholders in a collaborative manner. During her time working in-house and in corporate private practice, Helen worked on a range of corporate and commercial projects across industry sectors, as well as providing day-to-day business legal advice, all delivered in a straight-forward and pragmatic way.
She advises on all areas of business law including
- strategic commercial agreements and contract negotiations
- mergers, acquisition and buy-outs
- business structures and shareholder agreements
- company start-ups/funding
- joint venture and partnership arrangements
- confidentiality and settlement agreements
Helen is based in the Thames Valley and advises clients across London and the South East. She can be contacted using our contact form.
Roger worked as a business lawyer for over 30 years. For a decade he was company secretary and general counsel of an international group with a full listing on the London Stock Exchange, and for another eleven years he was Peugeot’s top lawyer in the UK. Other than the motor industry, in which he worked for 17 years in total, Roger’s sector experience included chemicals, electronic component distribution and financial services.
Roger always worked closely as part of a team with his finance, sales and marketing, and HR colleagues, who understood and appreciated the value added by having in-house general counsel at your side – not just in transactions, but on day-to-day matters as well. That is why Roger fell in love with the simple, but brilliant TLD concept, which he has never come across anywhere else. Have a senior, battle-hardened, commercially-minded business lawyer embedded in your team, for as little or as often as you need them, at a fraction of the cost of employing someone of that calibre and experience.
Roger has lived in Staffordshire for most of his adult life. He is well-known in the county community, as chair of the Community Foundation for Staffordshire and as a public governor of Burton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. He is proud to be a Brand Ambassador for The Legal Director.
Roger can be contacted using our contact form.
Anne has over 20 years in-house experience under her belt having qualified in the city at Ashursts. She has a pragmatic approach and a 'can do' attitude.
Anne worked as General Counsel & Company Secretary and was a Board member for Vue Entertainment for 11 years and prior to that was General Counsel at Heron Corporation. For the 12 months prior to joining TLD Anne has been providing legal, business and resourcing advice to businesses on a freelance basis.
Anne is comfortable advising on most things, and has significant experience in the following areas:
- M&A, MBOs, asset sales and internal re-organisations;
- Property development and management;
- Investment work (shareholder agreements and articles);
- Commercial contracts, T&C’s, NDAs;
- Non-contentious employment;
- Company secretarial; and
- Risk & Compliance - licensing, policies, bank and bond reporting, managing group insurance policies.
Anne is located in Hertfordshire but is available to clients across the UK.
Anne can be contacted using our contact form.